“Understanding Refugees”: Saturday January 27th 8:30-3:00pm
Would you like to…
- Better understand the culture & worldview of refugees in your community, and have keys to communicate effectively & build fruitful relationships?
- Understand your own cultural worldview, how it formed your perceptions and your faith?
- Better understand the why’s of current events unfolding in the world news through your cultural analysis and understanding of key players?
The Understanding Refugees workshop is part of the Faith & Culture curriculum and gives you a solid foundation for intercultural engagement in any setting whether personal, workplace or community related using the Inter-Cultural Intelligence Framework©. It helps you to understand your own worldview, builds competencies to understand others’ worldviews better and hands you tools for fruitful and effective interaction.
Identifying where worldviews show up in the Bible and Christian history helps you understand why and how Christian cultures differ across the world. It also helps you understand how other cultures perceive salvation, and it will enrich your understanding of what Christ did for you on the cross.
Looking at Arab and African cultures through the lenses of Three Colors of Worldview and being a refugee will help you understand better how your refugee friends think and perceive your interactions with them and American society in general.
Workshop topics: Heart-set and mindset for intercultural engagement. Understanding worldviews. Worldviews in the Bible. Arab and African cultures in light of worldviews. Building or Burning Bridges, foundations for intercultural communication.
What is Inter-Cultural Intelligence or ICI?
ICI enables individuals to understand their own cultural worldview and how it impacts their behaviors, expectations and relationships with others. Thus, learning to navigate in and out of diverse cultural contexts with flexibility and sensitivity, while adapting and building a 3rd cultural space. In plain language, ICI is a framework similar to DiSC in that it breaks down a culture into 3 observable worldviews and 12 observable dimensions, shows you where you currently stand in each of these, and hands you the tools to quickly assess another person’s culture. This would give you a strong indicator of what things are important in that culture, how to navigate it and how to act appropriately.
Our next training will be held at North Coast Calvary Chapel sign up and find out more here
HOUR OF POWER:
All are welcome to join Nic Gilmour and the Mission Team as we pray for our partners around the world, locally and in our own backyards. Just show up and bring a friend to come before God with open and expectant hearts. He is mighty!
Every Monday from 12-1pm in the Chapel.
WAYS TO JOIN IN & VOLUNTEER
- PARTNER REP: Be the liaison for our Local and International Missions Partners. This involves communicating with them on a regular basis and sharing their needs and prayer requests with the Mission Team among other responsibilities.
- JOIN THE TEAM: Be a friendly face and volunteer at the Mission table during services. Meet new people and get involved by encouraging others to explore Mission Community Outreach at NCCC. Contact the Mission Team for more info.
WAYS TO HELP IN THE COMMUNITY
- Fill-A-Belly is weekly in Carlsbad and Encinitas.
- Pregnancy Resource Center is a great place to serve, just give them a call to find out more 760) 945-4673.
- The Mexico Day Trips are great to get your feet wet in serving others.
- A Step Beyond in Escondido offers dance lessons to kids from socio-economically challenged homes. The program has a great track record and has proven to help kids excel in many areas of their life. Contact them to volunteer.